March 24, 2009

Raising Readers

This is so important to me. I want the boys to be readers because both my husband and I love to read and have gotten so much enjoyment and information from books, although my tastes are much more eclectic than his. He will usually only read non-fiction and prefers books about flying. He does have quite a collection of Louis L'Amour books as well. I read anything and everything, although a few years ago I completely gave up reading books that I don't at least like within the first 50 or so pages. One of the smartest men I ever met told me this, "Don't waste your time on a bad book because you think you should read it. There are to many great books out there waiting for you to discover." The books I will occasionally talk about here are some of the ones that have passed my test.

That, however, is a little off the topic. I have, so far, succeeded in raising readers. And I taught them both to read. My philosophy on their public school education is the same as Harry Truman's: the buck stops here. I love their public school, but I believe the teachers are there to help me. In the end, the boys success or failure in school rests entirely on my shoulders. I taught them to read, but I had a lot of help. This book was part of that help:





It may be the easiest and most clearly written phonics approach to reading I have ever come across. It can be a little slow, but you should listen to my boys. They can read.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for visiting my site! And thanks for the reading tip. My 2 yr old is well on her way to reading early and this was helpful. I will try to keep my blogging about her to a minimum, but it could prove difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Phonics Pathways is a great book and it helped me teach my child to read. Teaching your child to read is a multi step process - most people just don't realize that. I agree completely - the success of our children rests on our shoulders. I have enjoyed reading your blog and added to my reader. I'll be back. :)

    ReplyDelete