March 12, 2010

The Thunder of a Shout

I copied this paragraph in a post on this date last year to describe my (then) 6 year old.
I love you the reddest! I love you the color of the sky before it blazes into night. I love you the color of a leopard's eyes when it prowls through the jungle, and the color of a campfire at the edge of the flame. A wide open hug. The swirl of a magic cape. The thunder of a shout.

That is what he is ... the thunder of a shout.

For such a little kid - smaller then average - he takes up so much space.

His head is big ... really, really big. He is only 7 but he wears adult hats. He has since he was 4. He had to have an ultrasound on his head when he was 6 months old because the doctors thought the extreme growth rate of his head was due to a tumor. When the doctor asked if anyone in my family had large heads I asked, "Literally or figuratively. 'Cause we have both." I made a joke because I was scared. He was fine.

His head is big - literally and figuratively.

His laugh is big and contagious.

His thoughts are big.

His writing is big.

This kid takes up "space."

He takes up space in the life of everyone he meets. Very few people who meet M. leave without commenting on "what a ___ kid he is." Fill in the blank with whatever you want ... he is it.

What a FUNNY kid he is.
What a NICE kid he is.
What a CUTE kid he is.
What a GRUMPY kid he is.
What an AMAZING kid he is.
What a SMART kid he is.
What a SOCIAL kid he is.

What can I say to best describe him, besides the "thunder of a shout?' Just this.

HE IS.

No comments:

Post a Comment