December 31, 2010

Happy New Year 2011

As I take a moment to review 2010 I am filled with gratitude. This year brought more blessings than curses. Those moments I felt despair this year were few and far between. Even the dark clouds had silver linings. I remain ever grateful for my husband and two growing boys. They are alive and healthy and that is all I can ever truly wish for.

I am not one to live in the past. I really do try to live every day in that day without regrets. I believe what I say on my blog ... life has no dress rehearsals. Yet, I also know that there is room for improvement.

I would like to live 2011 more simply. The thoughts that have been wandering through my head were very well put into words by Girl Detective who also quoted what is one of my all time favorite blog posts by Mrs. Mental multivitamin.

I make time for the things without which I could not live -- my family, my work, and my studies. And then I make time for the things among all the rest that will enliven my sense of self; and, of course, this has and always will include involvement with my community. But -- and this is essential -- it will be on my terms, not someone else's.


I have already begun this process. I will be relieving myself of two-thirds of my commitments to Cub Scouts this Spring. I will be doing only the part which I love doing. I have already resigned from the PTA board. I will stop substituting at the boys' school. I will not be a Team Mom for baseball or DI. Because of a run-in with an absolutely crazy person last Spring, I have learned to appreciate my misanthropist tendencies.

In 2011, I want to read more and think more. I also want to gain a little more of an upper hand on my ADD and finish the projects that I start (photo books and de-cluttering here I come). I want to spend more quality time with my friends - the real ones I have learned to appreciate even more this year. I want to take naps and do yoga. I want to learn to make homemade pasta and corn tortillas.

This year, I will make no hard and fast resolutions about the number of books I want to read or a promise to post on this blog more. I won't swear to run a half-marathon or learn to fly the plane. I don't want specifics, just a promise to myself to live more truly. I want to find more time to enjoy my wonderful life and to breathe.

No comments:

Post a Comment